CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Festivals Malta is looking for creative and innovative professionals to take on the role of Artistic Directors. An Artistic Director has the overall responsibility for the artistic management of the festival s/he is assigned to and for the development and implementation of its artistic output. The Artistic Directors will collaborate closely with the Festival Managers and will report to the Festivals Malta Director. The chosen Artistic Directors need to provide artistic direction for a period of three years (2019-2021) for the following festivals:
May - World Music Festival
June - Għanafest - Malta Mediterranean Folk Music Festival
July - Malta International Arts Festival
July - Malta Jazz Festival
October - Notte Bianca
November - The Three Palaces Festival
The Artistic Director shall:
- Devise, plan and supervise the execution of the festival and related activities in the name of Festivals Malta;
- Coordinate with performers and artists so as to attain the best possible productions and do his/her utmost to attract considerable audiences in pursuit of strategies designed for audience development;
- Research, workshop, design and engage local and international material and talent following best practices policies and cutting edge creative initiatives towards the staging of an event of international standards;
- Choose the artistic content for the festival that will include a wide spectrum of performance genres, the hiring and commissioning of companies;
- Attending and supervising each scheduled performance of the production;
- Contributing creatively and artistically in the designing and production of the event;
- Be required to publicly speak about the festival;
- Devote whatever time may be necessary for the success of the festival;
- Be in Malta at least 3 weeks before and during the duration of the festival;
- Report to the Director Festivals Malta.
Applicants must be able to provide an overall artistic vision and develop festivals to fulfil its mission and vision whilst striving for quality and excellence. Applicants should have a proven track record of their work, be purposeful and motivated, and must possess excellent communication skills. S/he will be required to make use of his/her existing resources and networks to attract local and international interest in the festival.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
The Candidates must have a proven track record in the following:
- Budgeting skills.
- Networking with international artists and artistic management companies
- Strong communications skills
- Strong organisational skills
- Experience working in high profile cultural events.
- Idea generation and delivery of projects from conception to completion
- Experience in managing multiple projects
- Experience in event management.
- Knowledge of the local area and cultural sector.
Preference will be given to professionals with broad experience in the field of the arts, particularly those who have participated in events of international prestige and who are ready to continue developing our festivals according to the related strategic plans. Accountability and knowledge of working with public funds will be considered an asset.
Interested individuals should send a detailed portfolio highlighting their artistic track record, together with a letter expressing their motivation and desire to be an Artistic Director, the strengths they would bring to the position and the goals they would like to achieve if they are chosen to perform the duties of Artistic Director for a specific festival.
All applicants must be registered with the VAT Department.
Submissions will be received during office hours at Festivals Malta premises by not later than noon, Friday 30th March 2018 and are to be addressed to:
Director Festivals Malta
Festivals Malta, 16, Casa Scaglia, Triq Mikiel Anton Vassalli, Valletta VLT1311
Any questions about the call should be sent to email@example.com by Friday 23rd March 2018.
Acknowledgements to all applicants will be sent by Friday 6th April 2018, and eligible candidates will be interviewed in April 2018.